birding-aus

Re: Rainbow bee-eaters

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Re: Rainbow bee-eaters
From: Paul Taylor <>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 00:55:38 +1100
Trevor Hampel wrote:
> In the recent report from the Canberra birdwatchers report (fortnight
> ending Feb 20) Ian Fraser comments on how scarce Rainbow bee-eaters had
> been recently.
> [snip]

I found a group of around ten Rainbow Bee-eaters at Campbell Park
in Canberra this afternoon, Saturday 21 February.  These were the
first I've seen in Canberra this year, though I heard a single trill
that I suspected was from one in nearby Russell earlier in the week.
I also saw two Sacred Kingfishers, also my first for the year. These
were calling frequently using just the harsh, scolding call that I had
not heard before; is this a non-breeding season call?

Later in the afternoon I visited the Fyshwick Sewage Lagoons across
the road from Jerrabomberra Wetlands, and was rewarded with two
Whistling Kites in addition to the Blue-billed Ducks that I was looking
for (one male in the usual pond.)  This area appears to be the hotspot
for them in the ACT, though they are quite uncommon.

Paul Taylor