birding-aus

Jalisco & Colima Birding

To: <>
Subject: Jalisco & Colima Birding
From: "Lynn Vogt" <>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 11:11:32 -0700
 Dr. Richard Nowotny:
Hello from Calgary, Alberta CANADA.  I am writing in response to your
posted chat message on MEX-BIRD.  We visited Puerto Vallarta last year and
birded it for two weeks, from March 22-April 4/97.  We are planning on
returning this year from Mar.21 - April 4/98.

We visited San Blas in Nayarit and also Tepic - inland route back to Puerto
Vallarta.  We rented a jeep and toured around the Puerto Vallarta area
visiting various habitat areas.  The best area last year was south of P.V.,
past Chicas Paradise restaurant which is located past La Jolla de Mismaloya
hotel, and up into the pine forest, just birding along the road.  The book
we worked from was the Howell and Webb one on Birds of Mexico and Central
America.  It is excellent.  As for species, we saw many of our Canadian
birds on their winter grounds as well as Mexican endemic species.  Again,
should you like I can provide more information should you be interested.
We highly recommend going to San Blas, the trip of a lifetime for myself.
We also birded along Rio Ameca and also at Laguna Quelele.

Adios from Canada,
Lynn Vogt and John Riddell

Calgary, Alberta, CANADA