birding-aus

Latham's Snipe at Belmont Common

To: "" <>
Subject: Latham's Snipe at Belmont Common
From: Valda Dedman <>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 17:12:24 +-1000
Clive
I have just seen at least 60 Latham's Snipe at Jerringot Wildlife Reserve. I
went with Gordon McCarthy to put some up for you, but we didn't really have to
try. They just flew up from the southern wetland in groups of 10-30 and round
and back again. We did not even try to disturb them at the northern wetland.
Also saw, just out  from the bird hide a  Hoary-headed Grebe, but no camera of
course. Didn't see the three Baillon's Crakes that were reported last Saturday.
You'll be able to get on with your mist-netting now. The rough grass area is
quite wet. Please let me know the results. I won't be around as I'm off to the
Paroo Overflow for three weeks.
Regards
Valda