birding-aus

RE: Cuckoo years: good and bad

To: "'ozbird'" <>
Subject: RE: Cuckoo years: good and bad
From: "Conole, Lawrie" <>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 14:26:50 +1000
> Horsfield's Bronze-cuckoos arrived here in SE Melbourne in the last
> week
> of August and seem to be staying. They were "everywhere" in 1994 but
> in
> 1995 I collated only 3 records and in 1996 a mere one, and that an
> immature in February).

There were some calling about 4-6 weeks ago around Geelong, plus
Fan-tailed Cuckoos.  I agree with your observations on the lean years,
and it was the case for most species of cuckoo in those years in SW
Victoria.

BTW, I've heard, from Grant Baverstock at Lethbridge between Geelong &
Ballarat, that the first Pallid Cuckoo & Rufous Whistler of the season
were calling there on the weekend.

> Why are there good and bad cuckoo years when our population of small
> birds (potential nest hosts) does not seem to vary much ? You would
> think one bad year would mean fewer cuckoos next year and a continuing
> decline.

It may be to do with what happens on the wintering grounds, ie. there
might be high mortality in some years in Indonesia and northern
Australia, or the weather is unusual there or here meaning fewer come
south??????

Lawrie Conole
Geelong, Victoria, Australia

http://yarra.vicnet.net.au/~birdsaus/painted.html
http://www.xnet.com/~ugeiser/Birds/TripReports/JavaBali96.html

Unless otherwise stated, the opinions expressed here are my own and not
those of either the Museum of Victoria or the Victorian Government.