birding-aus

PIZZEY AND KNIGHT

Subject: PIZZEY AND KNIGHT
From: lorne <>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 12:22:53 +0000
Hello BIRDFANS, Lorne here.

I bought Pizzey and Knight yesterday. On the whole I am impressed...
Good cover and size, beautiful paintings (not cramped) with detail
(fowl's chicks and shearwater's feet for example), great COLOUR
depiction of birds of prey in flight so as to differentiate underwing
patterns, text that is on the same level with the bird on the plate -
immediate reference, glossary of terms, map at the front of the book
etc.

Good to see a NEW painting of an Elegant Imperial Pigeon, which I
searched for in Nightcliff, Darwin, back in 1994, but to no avail.

Rarer birds or one-offs should've been illustrated as well, as in back
of latest Simpson and Day.

No major criticisms at this point...

but do we NEED ANOTHER field guide really?????????????

I bought my last one in 87, so I did!!!!!!!

Cheers,

LGJ.