2. Re: Lesser birds

Subject: 2. Re: Lesser birds
From: "Scott" scottvarney1968
Date: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:32 pm ((PST))
I'm a youngster at 52 years young. I not only share your
perspectives on nature's lessons but also hope that, as a teacher
of 9th and 10th grade science students, that my students are
listening.
The times of our human lives have changed dramatically but LIFE's
significance remains unwavering. This is the lesson I attempt to
pass on to my students...I hope they are listening.
Why is it so increasingly difficult to impart the notion that our
personal environmental choices dramatically affect the state of
our environment on our own planet.
I'm sick to death of suggestions that I teach my students about
colonization of Mars as an alternative solution for Earth's
struggles. I'm not joking when I tell you that this is a
recommended part of New York State's Next Generation Science
Standards. Rather than teach students how to be one with their
Earth ecosystems, it's=A0 more practical to teach about how to
recolonize another planet!=A0
Losing faith in humanity,
Scott VarneySalem, NY
Sent from my Verizon Motorola SmartphoneOn Dec 24, 2019 10:55 PM,
"Dan Dugan  [naturerecordists]"
<> wrote:

I prefer to not over-think =93baseline.=94 Baseline
observations are the first time you recorded a place, or a time
before some change happened.
-Dan

On Dec 23, 2019, at 5:19 AM, John Crockett
 <>
[naturerecordists] <
<> > wrote:
Has "baseline" ever been anything but arbitrary? The only true
baseline (if I am up on my cosmology) is non-existence. I have
heard spiritual teachers and guides use that as an excuse for
ignoring the biodiversity crisis and "accepting" destructive
human behavior. Everything dies, so annihilation must be natural,
right? In any event, my baseline--the world I was born into 60
years ago--is gone and likely not recoverable.
I appreciate Gianni's reflection here. One of the possible
benefits of listening to (in) natural soundscapes is that
visceral shift of perspective from "I am listening to that" to "I
belong to that; I am that." That, for me at least, is a powerful
motivator to change behavior, to nurture the soil, to foster
diverse habitats, to give the land space and time to thrive, and
to withdraw consent from global shopping and shipping and
exploitation.
I always hope that sharing soundscape recordings opens that door
for people to enter the soundscape for themselves, to start
listening in a way they have not done before, to experience that
sense of belonging to the richness of a particular natural
environment. That's the hope anyway.
Here's hoping 2020 is the year in which Gianni's ecological
perspective takes root.

John CrockettWestminster, Vermont

On Dec 22, 2019, at 9:12 AM, Bernie Krause
 <>
[naturerecordists] wrote:

The problem to rethink is the entire concept of
=93baseline.=94 With events changing consequences so
rapidly, what constitutes baseline data, now?

Bernie Krause

On Dec 22, 2019, at 2:13 AM, Gianni Pavan
<>  [naturerecordists]
<
<> > wrote:

The decline in insects and birds, and frogs too, is clearly
evident also here, in Italy. We have to completely rethink our
societal development and understand that our life and our health
and also our happiness depends on nature.. Now we also have
understood (too late and not enough) that also our climate
depends on nature and that any impact we produce on the biosphere
has an impact on our own lives and even more on future
generations. Soundscapes reflect habitat quality, richness, and
diversity. Raquel Carson was a pioneer. Silent springs are now a
sad reality.We need to put all the energy we have in educating
people to understand that our health and happiness depend more on
the health of nature than on the size of our tv or on what we can
buy on amazon.Hope we all have a nice Christmas and a Happy New
Year,Gianni Pavan

Il giorno dom 22 dic 2019 alle ore 00:39
<>  [naturerecordists]
<
<> > ha scritto:

Well said Caspar! additional benefits of such simple actions
include clean air and water, flood control, aquifer recharge, and
much more.

Guy

On 12/21/2019 6:24 PM, rapsac