1. Re: Lesser birds

Subject: 1. Re: Lesser birds
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:55 pm ((PST))
I prefer to not over-think =93baseline.=94 Baseline observations are the fi=
rst time you recorded a place, or a time before some change happened.

-Dan

> On Dec 23, 2019, at 5:19 AM, John Crockett  <mailt=
o:> [naturerecordists] <=
..com <>> wrote:

> Has "baseline" ever been anything but arbitrary? The only true baseline (=
if I am up on my cosmology) is non-existence. I have heard spiritual teache=
rs and guides use that as an excuse for ignoring the biodiversity crisis an=
d "accepting" destructive human behavior. Everything dies, so annihilation =
must be natural, right? In any event, my baseline--the world I was born int=
o 60 years ago--is gone and likely not recoverable.

> I appreciate Gianni's reflection here. One of the possible benefits of li=
stening to (in) natural soundscapes is that visceral shift of perspective f=
rom "I am listening to that" to "I belong to that; I am that." That, for me=
 at least, is a powerful motivator to change behavior, to nurture the soil,=
 to foster diverse habitats, to give the land space and time to thrive, and=
 to withdraw consent from global shopping and shipping and exploitation.

> I always hope that sharing soundscape recordings opens that door for peop=
le to enter the soundscape for themselves, to start listening in a way they=
 have not done before, to experience that sense of belonging to the richnes=
s of a particular natural environment. That's the hope anyway.

o:> [naturerecordists] wrote:

>> The problem to rethink is the entire concept of =93baseline.=94 With eve=
nts changing consequences so rapidly, what constitutes baseline data, now?

>> Bernie Krause
>>

>>> On Dec 22, 2019, at 2:13 AM, Gianni Pavan  <mailt=
o:> [naturerecordists] <=
com <>> wrote:

>>> The decline in insects and birds, and frogs too, is clearly evident als=
o here, in Italy. We have to completely rethink our societal development an=
d understand that our life and our health and also our happiness depends on=
 nature.. Now we also have understood (too late and not enough) that also o=
ur climate depends on nature and that any impact we produce on the biospher=
e has an impact on our own lives and even more on future generations. Sound=
scapes reflect habitat quality, richness, and diversity. Raquel Carson was =
a pioneer. Silent springs are now a sad reality.
>>> We need to put all the energy we have in educating people to understand=
 that our health and happiness depend more on the health of nature than on =
the size of our tv or on what we can buy on amazon.
>>> Hope we all have a nice Christmas and a Happy New Year,
>>> Gianni Pavan
>>>

>>> Il giorno dom 22 dic 2019 alle ore 00:39  <b=
> [naturerecordists] < <=
>> ha scritto:
>>>
>>> Well said Caspar! additional benefits of such simple actions include cl=
ean air and water, flood control, aquifer recharge, and much more.

nd.net> [naturerecordists] wrote:

> [...]
nmanaged woodland, hollow logs, permanent wetlands, meadows. Preferably all=
 of the above within a small area. If you have a garden that is a good plac=
e to start.

ilto:> [naturerecordists] <=

@gmail.com> [naturerecordists] < <na=

ide habitually. Reading about the declining bird population and the stories=
 of their lack of presence at places where we=92d expect to hear them is a =
nightmare come to life.
way I could help and make a bigger difference than just recycling, composti=
ng and riding or walking as oppose to driving. It doesn=92t seem sufficient=
 enough.