Re: Zoom H1n

Subject: Re: Zoom H1n
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:39 pm ((PST))
Klas, you wrote,

> I have never seen the importance of pre record. When I record with a
> parabol, I switch the recorder on when I leave the house and switch it
> off when I get back home.

You won=92t miss anything that way! I presume you make a =93first cut=94 of=
 your recording before archiving.

Pre-record buffer has always been very valuable for me. In my standard prot=
ocol at a location, I record 90 minutes in the evening, stand by during the=
 night, and record 90 minutes in the dawn. During the night I have a remote=
 control in the sleeping bag with me, and I flip the switch when I hear som=
ething of interest like an owl or coyotes. The buffer ensures that I get th=
e event.

Sound Devices serves me well in this regard (disclosure: I am a dealer). My=
 788T recorder has a 10-second pre-record buffer at 48KHz sampling rate. At=
 96KHz that is reduced to five seconds. The Sound Devices CL-1 remote roll =
switch can be operated by feel=97not possible with smartphone remotes..

Pre-record buffers have enabled me to catch the sound of a tree falling thr=
ee times.

-Dan