Re: Zoom H1n

Subject: Re: Zoom H1n
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:43 pm ((PST))
Dear Gianni,

We=92re on the same page here! It=92s highly desirable to have a sonogram i=
ndex image that can be scanned quickly to locate sounds that might be of in=
terest.

-Dan

ecordists] <> wrote:

> Dear Dan and Klas,
>          other than using pocket recorders for nature recordings, either =
short recordings on selected subjects or long unattended recordings for sou=
ndscapes. I also use autonomous recorders for long term soundscape recordin=
g. As I use several recorders in different places, then the main problem is=
 analyzing them or at least getting a picture of their contents. For this p=
urpose I use my own software to produce compact spectrograms showing a whol=
e day. I like to record 10 minutes every 30 minutes, 24/24h, to get 48 fram=
es/day. In this web page (http://www.unipv.it/cibra/cibra_sabiod.html <http=
://www.unipv.it/cibra/cibra_sabiod.html> - I'=ECm sorry it is in italian), =
you can see my "compact spectrograms". I use them to have a global picture =
of what I recorded, I can then focus on days with clenaest and richest reco=
rdings, discover recognizable and recurrent sound patterns, and also discov=
er unusual sound patterns. By using these spectrograms I can also compare s=
ites with different soundscapes, e.g. with different sound diversity and so=
und richness, or with different levels of anthropogenic noise. To speed up =
analysis, I can easily recognize and skip silent days or rainy days and foc=
us only on the best recordings. I use these images as an index of my record=
ings and then I focus with higher resolution spectrograms on specifc patter=
ns and events, down to few seconds spectrograms to recognize species or eve=
nts. The freeware version of my software does not includes this option yet,=
 but I'm planning to release it soon.

> If interested, in the following paper you can find the same compact spect=
rograms with an overview of the research project behind them:
> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/284164121 <https://www.researchg=
ate.net/publication/284164121>

> I'm also searching for other software to make easier the organization, ca=
taloguing, and analysis of huge amount of files at different time scales, e=
..g. from seconds to hours and to days. Do you have any hint ?

> Thanks for all the valuable infos and thoughts I get form your posts, and=
 ciao to all my friends on the list

> Gianni Pavan

..se> [naturerecordists] < <naturere=

 [naturerecordists] wrote:
> > Dear Klas, you wrote,
> >

> >> Making SoundScapes is different. Then I place a mic and a recorder out
> >> somewhere, often at a place that I am familiar with from before, and
> >> leave it till the next day or longer. Coming back, I replace the batte=
ry
> >> and the card and start recording again. Since many years, I have one
> >> test site where a stereo mic and recorder is out 24/7 from February to
> >> the end of June. It=B4s a 2-3 hours job to sonogram and listen to the
> >> files, but also very relaxing and rewarding.
> >>
> > What software do you use to make sonograms of your long files? Do you k=
eep the sonograms as indexes to the audio files?

> > -Dan
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> > Posted by: Dan Dugan< <>>
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > "While a picture is worth a thousand words, a
> > sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Kraus=
e.

> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > Yahoo Groups Links
> >

> Posted by: Klas < <>>
>

> --
> Centro Interdisciplinare di Bioacustica e Ricerche Ambientali
> Universit=E0 degli Studi di Pavia
> Via Taramelli 24, 27100 Pavia
> http://www.unipv.it/cibra <http://www.unipv.it/cibra>
> http://mammiferimarini.unipv.it <http://mammiferimarini.unipv.it/>