Re: Stereo Mic Setups

Subject: Re: Stereo Mic Setups
From: kincorning
Date: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:26 pm ((PST))
Regarding lightweight travel outfits, earlier in this thread there was ment=
ion of the Telinga SSM which I've been using for several years with the Oly=
mpus LS-11 recorder.  This outfit fits into a narrow compartment and adds m=
inimal weight to my backpack that is already (over) weighted with camera eq=
uipment.

 As Vicki's posts have shown, you can make a similar-sounding DIY SASS outf=
it with the same EM-172 capsules, but the Telinga SSM is more compact and t=
o my ears (though I'm much less experienced and knowledgeable than most peo=
ple here) it makes a very clean and natural soundscape.

 I often leave the LS-11/SSM setup running overnight, and I routinely get 7=
.75+ hours recording time from 2x rechargeable NiMH AA batteries running th=
e LS-11 and supplying PIP power to the SSM unit.

 I posted an example recording I made in the Luanga River Valley of Zambia =
here:

 Morning on the Luangwa River, South Luangwa National Park, Zambia (2013 - =
10 - 22 - 0089c) https://soundcloud.com/kin-corning/morning-on-the-luangwa-=
river-south-luangwa-national-park-zambia-2013-10-22-0089c

 https://soundcloud.com/kin-corning/morning-on-the-luangwa-river-south-luan=
gwa-national-park-zambia-2013-10-22-0089c

 Morning on the Luangwa River, South Luangwa Nati... https://soundcloud.com=
/kin-corning/morning-on-the-luangwa-river-south-luangwa-national-park-zambi=
a-2013-10-22-0089c This was recorded in late October, in the hour before da=
wn, on the Luangwa River in South Luangwa National Park, Zambia. The first =
part of the recording features t...

 View on soundcloud.com https://soundcloud.com/kin-corning/morning-on-the-l=
uangwa-river-south-luangwa-national-park-zambia-2013-10-22-0089c
 Preview by Yahoo

 In the recording, the LS-11 is set on Low Sensitivity and full Record Leve=
l 10. Other than adding some gain in post to offset the low-sensitivity rec=
ording level, the fades at the beginning and end, and swapping output chann=
els because the rig was mounted upside-down, the clip is unedited.

 Kin

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: