Re: Alice Microphone for Field Recording?

Subject: Re: Alice Microphone for Field Recording?
From: "Telinga" klasstrandberg
Date: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:45 am ((PDT))
Tom, EM200 are used in fully professional designs. They sound neutral.

Klas

On 2016-09-19 21:18,  [naturerecordists] wrote:
> Wow! Tons of information here. I'll try to reply to everyone:
>
> Gregory, what you said is all very encouraging. To date I've been
> using a Tascam DR-70D to record using a mix of setups, two of which
> are an SASS built around EM-172 capsules, and an ORTF arrangement
> using EM-184 cardioid capsules. So far the SASS lends itself best to
> the recordings I've been trying to make, providing a really nice sense
> of space that even the ORTF setup doesn't quite deliver.
>
> One of the reasons I'm looking into other setups, though, including
> the ORTF setup I built, was a recent trip to Edinburgh. It was a good
> trip from most aspects, but kind of a wash for field recording. I
> packed my SASS in my suitcase, but for a variety of reasons never
> really got to use it. I wound up relying on spaced omnis instead. Now
> that I have the ORTF setup I would reach for that before spaced omnis,
> but I'm still looking into other options. A single s elf-contained MS
> microphone looked like a nice option.
>
> Klas, you hit on my backup plan. In case the TSB-165A and Pimped Alice
> combination proved to be too noisy, I was considering just sticking
> three cardioid Primo capsules in the mic body and calling it quits.
> I've only ever used the EM-184 as a cardioid, though. The EM-200 is
> new to me. The datasheet looks really appealing, though.
>
> The only question I have is how to get them. micbooster.com carries
> the 172 and the 184, but I haven't found anyone selling the EM-200.
> I've contacted Primo in the past, hoping to get samples or even small
> lot sales, but of course that never panned out.
>
> I'm not ruling out the Alice mic just yet. Not until I can hear some
> field samples recorded with it, anyway. But I think I'm off to find
> some side-by-side tests of ORTF vs. MS so I can get an idea of that
> confined sense of space you were talking a bout, Gregory. A broad
> sense of space is crucial for what I'm doing, so that may be a
> deal-breaker.
>
> For what it's worth, another setup I'm planning to play with is a
> Jecklin Disc with those two omnis I used in Edinburgh. That would
> preserve the inter-aural delay of the SASS and ORTF, and add in the
> baffle from the SASS without the boundaries.
>
> None of these would necessarily replace my SASS for recording near
> where I live, but I'm really hesitant to toss my SASS in my suitcase
> again. Everything survived the trip, but I've had kite and photography
> gear damaged by baggage handlers in the past, so I'd rather not risk
> it if I don't have to.
>
> Thanks for your help, everyone.
>
> Tom
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1]
> https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/naturerecordists/info;_ylc=3DX3oDMTJl=
dTk3bjhuBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIxMjY4NjAEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDgzNjYzBHNlYwN=
2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTQ3NDMxMjgxNw--
> [2]
> https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/naturerecordists/members/all;_ylc=3DX=
3oDMTJmcGJzcDY4BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIxMjY4NjAEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDgzNjYz=
BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZtYnJzBHN0aW1lAzE0NzQzMTI4MTc-
> [3]
> https://groups.yahoo.com/neo;_ylc=3DX3oDMTJkdmM2c3NmBF9TAzk3NDc2NTkwBGdyc=
ElkAzIxMjY4NjAEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDgzNjYzBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2dmcARzdGltZQMxNDc0=
MzEyODE3