[Nature Recordists] Digest Number 6663

To: "" <>
Subject: [Nature Recordists] Digest Number 6663
From: "" <>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2016 08:17:32 +0000
There are 3 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

1a. Mic elements in parallel
    From:  gwapuffin
1b. Re: Mic elements in parallel
    From: Dan Dugan
1c. Re: Mic elements in parallel
    From: vickipowys

Messages
1a. Mic elements in parallel
    Posted by:   gwapuffin
    Date: Thu Sep 1, 2016 1:06 pm ((PDT))

 II am getting conflicting information regarding the use of multiple caps in a
mod SASS DIY microphone.

 I have read that wiring two electric caps in parallel would produce about 3db
more noise than a single cap but the signal would increase by 6db which would
give me a better signal to noise ratio. When recording quite nature sounds that
should  be desirable.

 A second source tells me that the mic’s do not work that way and noted that if
it did everyone would be building mic’s like that.  The only mic’s that I see
on the market use one cap per channel so he may be correct.

 I would appreciate any feedback from those trained in electronics or that have
made tests to verify these configurations.

 Cross post to Mic builders

 Gerald White

Messages in this topic (3)
1b. Re: Mic elements in parallel
    Posted by: "Dan Dugan"  dandugan_1999
    Date: Thu Sep 1, 2016 9:35 pm ((PDT))

Multiple caps can work like that, the Telinga Clip-On is an example. I don’t
know how they’re wired, however.

-Dan

> On Sep 1, 2016, at 1:06 PM,  [naturerecordists]
> <> wrote:

> II am getting conflicting information regarding the use of multiple caps in a
> mod SASS DIY microphone.
>
> I have read that wiring two electric caps in parallel would produce about 3db
> more noise than a single cap but the signal would increase by 6db which would
> give me a better signal to noise ratio. When recording quite nature sounds
> that should  be desirable.
>
> A second source tells me that the mic’s do not work that way and noted that
> if it did everyone would be building mic’s like that.  The only mic’s that I
> see on the market use one cap per channel so he may be correct.
>
> I would appreciate any feedback from those trained in electronics or that
> have made tests to verify these configurations.
>
> Cross post to Mic builders
>
> Gerald White

Messages in this topic (3)
1c. Re: Mic elements in parallel
    Posted by: "vickipowys"  vpowys
    Date: Thu Sep 1, 2016 10:35 pm ((PDT))

Klas at Telinga pointed out that only some recorders can supply enough
power for 4 electret capsules.  I know that the Olympus LS10 - 11, and
Sony M10 will work.  Klas has tested many recorders for powering 4
electrets, but I don't recall all the results

I have compared set ups using 2 electrets, and 4 electrets, to an
LS10.  4 electrets gave a 3 db stronger signal.

Vicki

On 02/09/2016, at 7:55 AM, Dan Dugan
[naturerecordists] wrote:

> Multiple caps can work like that, the Telinga Clip-On is an example.
> I don�t know how they�re wired, however.
>
> -Dan
>
>> On Sep 1, 2016, at 1:06 PM,  [naturerecordists]
>> <
>> > wrote:
>
>> II am getting conflicting information regarding the use of multiple
>> caps in a mod SASS DIY microphone.
>>
>> I have read that wiring two electric caps in parallel would produce
>> about 3db more noise than a single cap but the signal would
>> increase by 6db which would give me a better signal to noise ratio.
>> When recording quite nature sounds that should  be desirable.
>>
>> A second source tells me that the mic�s do not work that way and
>> noted that if it did everyone would be building mic�s like that.
>> The only mic�s that I see on the market use one cap per channel so
>> he may be correct.
>>
>> I would appreciate any feedback from those trained in electronics
>> or that have made tests to verify these configurations.
>>
>> Cross post to Mic builders
>>
>> Gerald White

Messages in this topic (3)

<*> Your email settings: