Re: Smart phone use for bird song recordings

Subject: Re: Smart phone use for bird song recordings
From: lamprophis1963
Date: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:21 am ((PDT))
There is a nice discussion of this topic on the McCaulay Library Website.  =
There is a version 1 and an updated version 2 which is better.  The only wa=
y I know to get to version 2 is through the Ebird website - http://ebird.or=
g/content/ebird/news/mlspring2016/ http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/mlsp=
ring2016/

 It discusses microphones, etc and good apps.   I record quite frequently w=
ith my smartphone (LG-G3) and have tried to do it off an on for a couple of=
 years.  I primarily record frogs, not birds.   On their recommendation I "=
upgrade" my app to RecForge II (free version) and am impressed with the qua=
lity you can get with some smartphones with a good app.  Most of the better=
 apps record WAV files and allow you to adjust the gain to some degree.

 This is a change in view for me because I have tried a few times before wi=
th older smartphones and not had as much luck.  They were noisy and not rea=
lly worth working with.  But with good technique and a decent phone and app=
 I have found I can get quite acceptable recordings of species.   I'm not s=
ure how good an ambient you can get on a quiet day in the forest, but for s=
ingle recordings of target species they do OK and are at least comparable w=
ith what I can get with a decent dedicated digital recorder.

 You do need wind protection but I have found any of the small windscreens =
made for the smaller recorders fit pretty well over the bottom of my smartp=
hone and provide adequate wind protection.

 I have some comments and a recording comparison here -

 Frog Blog: Recording with Phones - 2015 http://frogcalls.blogspot.com/2015=
/03/recording-with-phones-2015.html

 http://frogcalls.blogspot.com/2015/03/recording-with-phones-2015.html

 Frog Blog: Recording with Phones - 2015 http://frogcalls.blogspot.com/2015=
/03/recording-with-phones-2015.html I have always been of the mindset that =
the quality of the photo you get with a camera or the quality of the record=
ing you get with a recorder is partially attributa...

 View on frogcalls.blogspot.com http://frogcalls.blogspot.com/2015/03/recor=
ding-with-phones-2015.html
 Preview by Yahoo

Chris