Re: Types of noise in recordings

Subject: Re: Types of noise in recordings
From: "Peter Shute" pshute2
Date: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:12 pm ((PDT))
Why would an FBI agent put their fingers on their ear?=0D
=0D
Peter Shute=0D
=0D
Sent from my iPhone=0D
=0D
On 12 Jun 2016, at 4:06 AM, 'Paul Ahier' <paul.a=
> [naturerecordists] <<mailto=
:>> wrote:=0D
=0D
=0D
Hi Scott,=0D
=0D
Are you using any kind of windshield?  A lot of that sounds like air moveme=
nt to me. It is quite amazing how little air is needed to cause a rumble, e=
specially when it=92s end on to a shotgun, such as when walking forward as =
you are.  If you want something smaller than a Rycote, you could make your =
own from open cell foam.=0D
=0D
I=92m not really sure why you would choose not to use a shock mount, as you=
 can get some really neat compact ones that are essentially PVC pipe with e=
lastic bands that you can hand hold just like you do the bare microphone.  =
Something like a Rycote InVision with a handle would be small and cheap als=
o.  If you absolutely can=92t use any kind of suspension, try some gloves. =
 I like good quality fingerless cycling gloves as they are quiet on the boo=
m and I can still adjust my mixer easily.  I have heard golf gloves work bu=
t haven=92t tried it myself.  Your skin is naturally tacky so it grips and =
slips on the mic body and causes noise, it=92s virtually impossible to stop=
 that happening without gloves.  If you sit in a quiet room and put your fi=
ngers on your ear like an FBI agent, you will soon hear it and sometimes ev=
en clunks from the tendons or something in your fingers.=0D
=0D
Finally, wrap some electrical tape very tightly around the XLR connector an=
d the mic body to reduce any tiny movements of the connector.=0D
=0D
-Paul=0D
=0D