Types of noise in recordings

Subject: Types of noise in recordings
From: stolmstead
Date: Wed Jun 8, 2016 5:12 pm ((PDT))
Hi all,

I'm getting back into recording after some time off and my recordings latel=
y seem more noisy than I remember them being years ago. I'm hoping someone =
here may be able to help me identify some handling-type noise in my recordi=
ngs.

I recognize that technique has a big impact on minimizing handling noise, b=
ut I'm very curious if the noise can be identified to the cable, mic jack, =
or actually just hand contact on microphone. (I do not often use a shock mo=
unt.) Knowing the source of undesirable sounds would help me adjust my tech=
nique, which I'm afraid may have become sloppy.

For an example recording, please listen to the Hutton's Vireo on this page:=
 http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S27883487 http://ebird.org/ebird/vie=
w/checklist/S27883487.

I will try to describe the different sounds I hear:
- variety of fumbling sounds as I aimed the microphone 0:00-0:03,
- more isolated "rumbling" 0:08-0:10    ,
- "groaning" 0:29-0:30
- more "groaning" 0:38-0:40
- some "knocking" or "rattling" as I walked closer to the subject bird 0:47=
-0:51
- more "groaning" or "rumbling" 1:15-1:21

Is it possible to identify the sources/causes of these different sounds?

There's also a band of low frequency sound throughout the recording, about =
600 hz and lower. What is that? There were no vehicles nearby...

I know my microphone (Sennheiser ME-66) is a good one as far as shotguns go=
. I'm not sure how my recorder (Roland Edirol R-09) compares to some of the=
 others that have recently been recommended here, such as Sony PCM M-10 and=
 Olympus LS series. Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks for any insight and help!

Scott Olmstead
Tucson, AZ

<*> Your email settings: