Re: EM172 based microphones - PIP voltage?

Subject: Re: EM172 based microphones - PIP voltage?
From: inetd_conf
Date: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:19 pm ((PST))
Aha!

 Thanks for the pointer to the study on micbuilders. The input impedances f=
or the two recorders (the 1/8" jack impedance, I should clarify) are:

 DR-05: 25k ohm
 DR-70D: 10k ohm

 Granted the amps on the DR-05 are noisy, but going by the study the perfor=
mance of the EM173 is starting to drop with a 3V bias voltage at 10k ohm in=
put impedance (that's as far as the study went). There's no telling what's =
going on out at 25k ohms. So I don't think I could hurt anything by using a=
 higher bias voltage, and might actually help enough that the DR-05 would s=
ee it.

 The DR-70D's input impedance puts it right at the right edge of the graphs=
. If I round its bias voltage up to 3V (which is being a little generous), =
switching to a 9V bias voltage should buy me a little over 5dB S/N. It look=
s like most of this comes from dropping the noise floor, but there should b=
e a bit of boost in sensitivity as well.

 That seems like it's worth it enough to play with. Thanks!

 Tom

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: