Re: EM172 based microphones - PIP voltage?

Subject: Re: EM172 based microphones - PIP voltage?
From: natureguyusa
Date: Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:50 am ((PST))
Tom,=0D
=0D
The Primo EM172 works from 3-10 volts, but works best at 5V, and can be fur=
ther optimized at slightly higher voltages. More than just PIP voltage is t=
he impedance the recorder is using to bias the microphone. The correct vrs =
incorrect combination of voltage/impedance could result in almost a 6dB dif=
ference in noise floor. Primo has a noise/sensitivity/voltage study availab=
le, and it is also available in the file section of the Yahoo group, micbui=
lders. =0D
=0D
Your DR-05 has an EIN of just -107dB, which will need a preamp to see the a=
dvantage of the lower noise microphone, but it will still work. Other than =
the noisy input amps, the DR-05 is a good portable recorder. The DR-70D has=
 an EIN of -120dB, which you should notice improved performance using the m=
icrophone, and as long as their PIP impedance is on the higher side, much i=
mproved performance. The EM172 is a little different than most PIP micropho=
nes as it likes higher voltage and impedance, which is different than most =
PIP recorders are designed for. We use an EM172 in our Micro Mic PIP microp=
hone and recommend using the Sony PCM-M10 or Olympus LS11 to LS-14 for best=
 results.=0D
=0D
I am not a big fan of PIP microphone because their performance varies with =
the recording device, due to the varying voltages and impedances. We will b=
e releasing a new amplified 3.5mm microphone in the near future that will h=
ave consistent performance across any 3.5mm device, and it will improve any=
 inexpensive device with noisy inputs because it will have internal, very l=
ow noise, preamps.=0D
=0D
Bruce Rutkoski=0D
Owner=0D