Re: Aerial Soundscapes

Subject: Re: Aerial Soundscapes
From: inetd_conf
Date: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:41 am ((PDT))
Hey, thanks for the input! =0D
=0D
 I'm going to have to try your general principals on the ground so I know w=
hat to expect in the air. I've got some ground recordings I made earlier th=
at I can try the low cut filter on in Audacity to see what I can recover. A=
t least one of those I was recording at a lower level (-20dBFS?) so I might=
 have enough headroom to work with. If not, I'll head out and make new reco=
rdings along those lines.=0D
 =0D
=0D
 The kites vary. My two main go-to kites are framed rokkaku kites, but I do=
 have a Jalbert parafoil I use for lower line angle work in higher wind. Mo=
st of the time, though, I clip my rig at least 100' down the line from the =
kite. (I uploaded two more pictures that show typical rig-to-kite spacing a=
nd a midair of a KAP rig at work.) It's possible to put the kite several hu=
ndred feet away from the microphone, so I might not have to deal with kite =
noise much at all.=0D
 =0D
=0D
 Lighter than air is certainly possible, but it's not something I have expe=
rience with. I know a couple of people who use balloons to do aerial photog=
raphy. Certainly it would remove the issue of wind! But helium is otherworl=
dly expensive out here, so I may have to give that a miss, at least for now=
.=0D
 =0D
=0D
 The slack line technique you mentioned also works on a kite. Once the line=
 is slack the kite acts more like a parachute than a kite, and the rig beco=
mes very stable for a short while. A number of people use that trick to sta=
bilize their cameras. I hadn't thought of using it for sound, but that's an=
 excellent idea. I need to give that a try.=0D
 =0D
=0D
 You've given me a lot of food for thought. I hope to make it by a fabric s=
tore later this weekend, so I'll look around for suitable materials for win=
dscreens. Fortunately the folks there are used to me. I needed light-tight =
cloth for a project at work, and spent over an hour shining a flashlight th=
rough fabric after fabric. (They finally pointed me toward blackout cloth f=
or drapes.) I hope they'll be patient with my holding fabric up to my ear o=
ver and over!=0D
 =0D
=0D
 Thanks again,=0D