Re: Hooke binaural wireless headphones

Subject: Re: Hooke binaural wireless headphones
From: "J. Charles Holt"
Date: Mon Jul 6, 2015 2:04 pm ((PDT))
The term binaural has a long and confusing history. There were a number of =
early vinyl LPs that used the term to mean Stereo. By the same token, 3D is=
 another term often misused to imply additional dimensionality, not necessa=
rily three literal dimensions (plus, wouldn't it truly be 4D, since it chan=
ges over time?). It's maddening for engineers when terms are misused, I kno=
w, but the average joe won't understand the difference=E2=80=94it's just an=
other marketing term at this point.

Assuming this product ever gets off the ground, I would bet most people who=
 buy those headphones will simply record and be satisfied. But some are goi=
ng to say "Gee, this is great, but it's still got issues. I wonder if there=
's a way to make it better?" I bet at least some of those people will end u=
p here. Either way, I think the more people we get paying attention to the =
world around them, the more they may advocate for controlling noise polluti=
on in the future. It all starts with awareness.

I'm a ham radio operator (K9LOL), and that hobby is also faced with bringin=
g new members "into the fold." They're trying to tackle it head on with sil=
ly things like comic books because that's what they think kids read, but th=
e fact is that it's often people who were attracted for some other reason, =
such as emergency preparedness. I'd be willing to bet the age demographic f=
or nature recordists tends to skew to the same end of the spectrum. Is anyo=
ne on this list under the age of 20? How about 30? Anyone under 40?

I plan to do some experimenting with binaural recording by building my own =
dummy head. I realize there are a lot of limitations with HRTF, EQ, etc, bu=
t in my mind it's the best system we have yet for trying to aurally recreat=
e an environment with something most people have it can afford. I was floor=
ed by a demo my dad showed me when I was a kid (nostalgia alert: I remember=
 he played it for me on a Sony CDP-101 that had an engraved plate on the fr=
ont presenting it to him and acknowledging it as the first Sony CD player m=
anufactured in the U.S.=E2=80=94as my dad screwed the cover on the case!). =
I was floored, and I'm still amazed by how well it can transport me to anot=
her place.

- Charles

recordists] <> wrote:

> =E2=80=A6and, unless the recordist desires variable spatial shifts, he/sh=
e must stay perfectly still facing one direction for long periods of time w=
hich is more difficult than what one might expect. If one is worried about =
stomach gurgles, then don=E2=80=99t drink coffee before recording, and pop =
a Tums (or some kind of antacid) just prior to switching on your recorder. =
Dan=E2=80=99s idea of the shoulder mounted mics works really well, though.

> Bernie
>

>> The key is head-related transfer functions (HRTF). The problem is that t=
hey are individual. I expect breakthroughs in this area in the next few yea=
rs.

>>> The problem with any personally worn mic rig is noise, starting with th=
>>> wearer's breathing, and also clothing rustle and movement noise on the =
rig
>>> itself and its cables.
>>
>> Yep, but it isn=E2=80=99t that hard to stand still and breathe silently.=
 The biggest problem I=E2=80=99ve had with my recording vest (shoulder mics=
) has been stomach gurgles. Of course with mosquitoes the game is off.