Re: Hooke binaural wireless headphones

Subject: Re: Hooke binaural wireless headphones
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Sun Jul 5, 2015 10:40 pm ((PDT))
>> There is a lot of work being done on binaural, mainly driven
>> by the video game industry. It's clear that forward-back and
>> height information -can- be encoded into two channels,
>> because we hear that way all the time.
>>
>> The key is head-related transfer functions (HRTF). The
>> problem is that they are individual. I expect breakthroughs
>> in this area in the next few years.
>
> I've been meaning to ask about this. Is one supposed to be able to tell w=
hether a recorded sound is coming from above you, for example, with proper =
binaural recordings? I've listened to a few I found on the web, and can't r=
eally convince myself that I can. Yet with live sound, I can tell if it's c=
oming from above me.

It=92s only possible with mics in the ear canals, reproduced in the ear can=
als of the same person who did the recording. Not very useful, and not at a=
ll compatible with loudspeaker playback.

Solutions being worked on involve individual calibration of the playback sy=
stem. Perhaps individuals will have hearing profiles stored in a cloud wher=
e playback equipment can access them.

Some gross aspects of HRTFs are coming into application. For example, Dolby=
=92s licensed home Atmos systems that use speakers reflecting sound off the=
 ceiling use height cue filters that are effective. At the IBC in Amsterdam=
 last fall in the Fraunhofer booth I heard a demo of a sound bar that produ=
ced an amazing illusion of space.

Quasi-binaural techniques like head- or shoulder-mounted mics, Jecklin Disk=
 or ORTF do produce a very nice panorama that=92s good on speakers and phon=
es alike. But no height or solid front sensation on phones.

-Dan

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: