Re: Hooke binaural wireless headphones

Subject: Re: Hooke binaural wireless headphones
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Sun Jul 5, 2015 9:48 pm ((PDT))
Charles wrote:

>> I just found out about a company offering pre-orders for a new binaural =
wireless headphone/microphone product.

>> Here's their website: https://hookeaudio.com

David commented:

> I looked it up and my hackles rose immediately when I saw that it claimed=
> be 3D. You cannot get three dimensional discrimination from two audio
> sources. Done well, you can get 1 1/2 D, ie. stereo with some sense of
> distance, but vertical information has to get lost simply because it is n=
ot
> there full stop.

Dan:

I agree completely with reference to this example, with the mics outside th=
e pinnae; however=85

There is a lot of work being done on binaural, mainly driven by the video g=
ame industry. It=92s clear that forward-back and height information -can- b=
e encoded into two channels, because we hear that way all the time.

The key is head-related transfer functions (HRTF). The problem is that they=
 are individual. I expect breakthroughs in this area in the next few years.

> The problem with any personally worn mic rig is noise, starting with the=

> wearer's breathing, and also clothing rustle and movement noise on the ri=
> itself and its cables.

Yep, but it isn=92t that hard to stand still and breathe silently. The bigg=
est problem I=92ve had with my recording vest (shoulder mics) has been stom=
ach gurgles. Of course with mosquitoes the game is off.

https://www.facebook.com/179818918746387/photos/pb.179818918746387.-2207520=
Message: 000.
Subject: 1436156698./727904830604457/

> I think you will find, as I have, that this sort of rig is simply not
> adequate for general nature recording, even if using a dummy head. Compar=
ing
> the recording with the real thing, as heard by your ears in a wildlife
> location, is likely to be very disappointing.

The recordings I=92ve made with shoulder mics compare favorably with other =
=93spaced omnis with barrier=94 techniques like Jecklin Disk.

> It's a good sales pitch up to "Mobile 3D Audio is (Finally) Hear" Rather=

> silly - and I have a good sense of humour.
>
> David Brinicombe

My main questions about this product are the mic noise level and how they p=
revent feedback from earphones to mics. Latency in the Bluetooth system may=
 be problematic, too.

-Dan