Re: MM-BSM-9

Subject: Re: MM-BSM-9
From: nick_felmicamps
Date: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:08 am ((PDT))
Hi Peter,=0D
=0D
The noise performance of the EM172 depends on both the pip voltage and the =
input impedance of the recorder, there is discussion of this in the micbuil=
ders yahoo group, this graph in particular is most interesting, I am not su=
re of its origin but someone has done a lot of work on it.=0D
=0D
Nick Roast.=0D
=0D
=0D
micbuilders https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/micbuilders/files/EM172/Pri=
mo%20EM172%20Sens%20%20Noise%20vs%20RL%20VL.pdf =0D
 =0D
 https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/micbuilders/files/EM172/Primo%20EM172%=
20Sens%20%20Noise%20vs%20RL%20VL.pdf =0D
 =0D
 micbuilders https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/micbuilders/files/EM172/Pr=
imo%20EM172%20Sens%20%20Noise%20vs%20RL%20VL.pdf Audio recording in all med=
ia: Tape, DAT, minidisc, hard disk, solid state ... Recording enthusiasts w=
ho like to get the most out of their equipment ... Musician...=0D
 =0D
 =0D
 =0D
 View on groups.yahoo.com https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/micbuilders/f=
iles/EM172/Primo%20EM172%20Sens%20%20Noise%20vs%20RL%20VL.pdf =0D
 Preview by Yahoo =0D
 =0D
 =0D
  =0D
=0D
 =0D
=0D
---In  <> wrote :=0D
=0D
 I've heard mentioned that some recorders, including the M10, can't supply =
enough voltage to two pairs of EM-172s, which leads to at least some reduct=
ion in this benefit. I don't know how much of the benefit is lost. I'm usin=
g an M10 with two pairs of capsules in a similar array to Vicki's on the ca=
perteebirder site, but I haven't got around to comparing it with a single p=
air. It sounds ok to me. =0D
 =0D
 Perhaps someone who understands it better could elaborate on the effects o=
f the voltage drop? =0D
 =0D
 Peter Shute =0D
 =0D
 Sent from my iPad =0D
 =0D
 On 28 Jun 2015, at 4:28 am, Gregory O'Drobinak  gmod=
< > [naturerecordist=
s] < =
m< m("yahoogrou","naturerecordists");=">=
ps.com>> wrote: =0D
 =0D
 =0D
 =0D
 One gets a 6 dB signal gain from the adding the output of the two capsules=
 together, but the capsule self-noise which is uncorrelated will only incre=
ase by 3 dB. So the net result is a signal to noise gain of about 3 dB for =
a two-capsule vs. one-capsule mic channel. =0D
 =0D
 ________________________________ =0D
From: "Russ Cline  <russcl=
@yahoogroups.com <naturerecor=
 >> =0D
 To: " =
com< m("yahoogr","naturerecordists");=">=
oups.com>" < =
roups.com< m("y","naturerecordists");=">=
ahoogroups.com>> =0D
 Sent: Saturday, June 27, 2015 1:11 PM =0D
 Subject: [Nature Recordists] Re: MM-BSM-9 =0D
 =0D
 =0D
 I was looking at the capertreebirder site and see the em-172 mics wired to=
gether in pairs =0D
 for the SASS-lite and was wondering why? Thanks. =0D
=0D