Re: Help salt water

Subject: Re: Help salt water
From: "Bernie Krause" bigchirp1
Date: Thu Mar 5, 2015 11:50 am ((PST))
In the early 1980s, I was working in the Antarctic and found, in an abandon=
ed hut, buried deep in block of ice, a Nagra 3 that had been abandoned some=
 years before. It was completely ice-bound. I chopped it out of its icy tom=
b and brought it back to McMurdo, thawed it out, drained all the ice from t=
he innards, put it in distilled water overnight, then dried it out with a b=
low-drier, put batteries in it, loaded a reel of tape on the transport, cra=
nked the record switch, and it worked. The tape heads were pretty badly wor=
n and needed to be replaced, and it needed some lubrication. But, basically=
, it worked.

I also accidentally dropped a Narga IVs out of a helicopter while on a film=
 shoot, along a beach in N. California. It fell about 40 feet (12m) to the =
ground (in the sand), cracked the cover, but it was still working when we l=
anded and picked it up.

Not sure I=92d like to try those tests with any of the current tech.

Bernie

Wild Sanctuary
POB 536
Glen Ellen, CA 95442