Re: Surround Sound Recording

Subject: Re: Surround Sound Recording
From: "Eric Fassbender" eric.fassbender
Date: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:06 pm ((PST))
Hi all,

thanks for all your responses and apologies for not getting back to you ear=
lier. I was busy releasing my first 360=B0 Relaxation Environment - Dream B=
each 360. Take a look at this website and you will probably know what that =
means thereafter :) http://www.feeltherelaxation.com/products/dream-beach-a=
ustralia-360-degree-full-hd-vr-video-for-oculus-rift-samsung-gear-vr-and-ze=
iss-vr-one

In the meantime I found out more about the surround sound that is used by t=
he Gear VR. Apparently the Virtual Reality experiences are using the Fraunh=
ofer Cingo codec (http://fraunhofer-cingo.com/). I'm still not sure how to =
record for this codec and how to embed it into the MP4 so if anyone has hea=
rd of it and knows how to work with it I would greatly appreciate your tips=
!

Hope all is well :)

Eric

On 31/12/2014, at 6:10 PM, Peter Shute  [naturerecordists]=
 <> wrote:

> Is a panoramic video wide angle, or do you pan from side to side?
>
> Peter Shute
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On 31 Dec 2014, at 11:25 pm, Eric Fassbender <mailt=
o:> [naturerecordists] <=
com<>> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm starting to record surround sound alongside with panoramic videos. On=
e of the sample MP4's has an audio file structure of

> 0L.wav
> 0R.wav
> 90L.wav
> 90R.wav
> 180L.wav
> 180R.wav
> 270L.wav
> 270R.wav
>
> Have any of you seen this structure and if so, how are these signal sourc=
es positioned (i.e. is 90L/R on the right or on the left when looking down =
on it)? How are they recorded (I'm assuming 4 pairs of stereo mics)? And mo=
st importantly, how are they processed, edited and embedded into the mp4 fi=
le so that they are positionally correct?

> If any of you have worked with this kind of format I'd be very thankful i=
f you could give me a hint for where to start.

> Thanks a bunch and a happy 2015!
>
> Eric

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional