Re: Surround Sound Recording

Subject: Re: Surround Sound Recording
From: "John Campbell" jcampbellmagiancomau
Date: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:41 pm ((PST))
On Thu, Jan 1, 2015 at 2:09 AM,  [naturerecordists] <
> wrote:

> Cinema surround sound is produced from a large number of discrete tracks
> each pan-potted to the appropriate speaker channel or channels, and also
> height speakers to give a vertical sound image effect and also "rumble"
> bass
> speakers. The equivalent for wildlife recording would be to have widely
> spaced stereo pairs, possibly in different locations, mixed to give a
> combined surround effect.
>
> David Brinicombe

Regarding this final paragraph, I have occasionally experienced stereo
pairs set up in different locations for wildlife and for music recordings.
It can produce fascinating results.  Perhaps can also produce a mess.
Probably a set-up which can only be judged subjectively.  Whether or not it
has any place in surround sound for video is of course another matter.  But
I'd suggest it is certainly worth experimenting with if an opportunity
arises.

Back to Eric's questions, would 90 degrees be "true right" when looking
ahead to a subject, as the "true right" river bank is the bank on one's
right when looking downstream?

John