Re: Suggestion for a good book for novice recordist

Subject: Re: Suggestion for a good book for novice recordist
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:05 pm ((PDT))
David, you wrote,

> As an example, recording thunder can be disappointing, but this is a spec=
ial
> case. The way to make it sound "real" is to let it overload on the loudes=
> bits, but most digital recorders won't let you do this and a limiter kick=
> in. My pet hate is limiters and compressors which always sound artificial=

> and make the background sounds "pump" down and up. The trick is to record=

> low and to distort the peaks in post editing.

I agree about limiters.

The idea of intentionally overloading comes from motion picture experience,=
 where gunshots and door slams sounded more real when recorded on the Nagra=
 with the meter needle banging the stop.

Digital distortion is different from analog tape distortion, however. I did=
n't like it when I overloaded thunder accidentally.

I agree with distorting the peaks in post, perhaps with a tape emulator plu=
g-in.

-Dan