Re: Suggestion for a good book for novice recordist

Subject: Re: Suggestion for a good book for novice recordist
From: "Scott Hughes" shooze53
Date: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:29 pm ((PDT))
You are correct, Amazon is the way.
On 2014-10-30, at 8:05 PM, "Bernie Krause  [naturere=
cordists]" <> wrote:

> Used books are perfectly readable and can be got thru Amazon for $12.00..=
 New ones, if they can be found, are ridiculous.

> BTW, a little-know bit of soundscape history: this book was based on the =
Natural Soundscape Program I developed for the National Park Service in 200=
Message: 1.
Subject: It was part of a program by that name devised to help visitors orient
th=
emselves to listening and recording soundscapes in the national parks. I ha=
d written a listening and recording guide for park educational rangers that=
 consisted of actual programs and workshops for visitors. In 2004, a couple=
 of Representatives (Young and Pombo) decided that the word, soundscape, wa=
s too radical (never mind the terms, landscape and seascape from which the =
term was derived), and told the NPS office in Fort Collins, where the sound=
scape program was headquartered, that if they didn=92t change the term they=
=92d lose what little funding they had. Hence, the Natural Sounds Program=
=85without the visitor component.

> Bernie
>

> On Oct 30, 2014, at 4:54 PM, Scott Hughes  [naturerecordi=
sts] <> wrote:

>> Bernie,
>> They can try ABE BOOKS - looks like there are copies of your book availa=
ble in various US locations, varying prices from $40.00 to $202.00 + shippi=
ng

>> http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=3Dt&tn=3DWild+Soundsca=
pes%3A+Discovering+the+Voice+of+the+Natural+World

erecordists]" <> wrote:

>>> If you can get hold of a copy of Wild Soundscapes: Discovering the Voic=
e of the Natural World (http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Soundscapes-Discovering-=
Voice-Natural/dp/0899972969) it might be helpful since it was the first com=
prehensive book on field recording related specifically to natural soundsca=
pes. It came out about 13 years ago and is now out of print, and the chapte=
r on technology is (of course) way out of date. But the basic protocols and=
 concepts are pretty cogent and  still relevant.

sts] <> wrote:

> [...]
rt understanding the concepts :-)"

hes to editing as there are good nature sound artists.  Don=92t forget ther=
e are some on this forum who may not have written books on the subject but =
may be very happy to respond to your queries. So do not hesitate to ask.

e time line intact. I edit to make it sound the best that I can.  Here are =
some of the steps that may occur in my process, though I usually approach e=
ach recording uniquely.

e, or other objectionable ambience, to make it sound natural or interesting=
. Balance the Left and Right channels if necessary. Do anything else I feel=
 like doing. Select and split my section from the source recording. Apply f=
ades in and out. Save As with a file name that refers to the position from =
the source recording =96 I use date, time of day, and recording location. L=
isten to it, and decide if I like it or not.