Re: Shotgun mic Vs on-board mics

Subject: Re: Shotgun mic Vs on-board mics
From: "John Crockett" naturalcontemplative
Date: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:30 am ((PDT))
Hi Don,

I have not used the NTG2, but the NTG2 is not a very sensitive
microphone. At 15mV/Pa it is actually less sensitive than the built-
in microphones on the PCM-M10 (22 mV / Pa). That's about a 3 dB
difference. What this shotgun is giving you is greater rejection of
sounds from the sides, but not greater sensitivity. By comparison,
the ME66 shotgun has a sensitivity of 50 mV/Pa. A much more sensitive
microphone (10 dB more sensitive than the NTG2).

But if your recordings are more than 3 dB lower when using the NTG2
on the same source, and the shotgun is aimed directly at the source,
might it be the case that you have a faulty cable? Or maybe the wrong
type of cable? There is one that looks identical to the correct one
but is used for certain stereo microphones, not for attaching a mono
XLR mic to a stereo mini input.

Hope that is helpful.

John