Re: Shotgun mic Vs on-board mics

Subject: Re: Shotgun mic Vs on-board mics
From: oatcruncher
Date: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:21 am ((PDT))
Hi Don,=0D
Although I don't own or know this particular mic, I suspect that this is no=
rmal. What you're referring to is the gain achieved by the mic, which gener=
ally only improves noticably in much more expensive items. But, not all is =
lost, because your sounds can be made 'louder' in post. Before we go any fu=
rther, do you use any software such as Audacity or Audition? If not, this w=
ill be your next (very interesting) step.=0D
As always, the advice for recording birds, if it's single individuals you'r=
e after, is to get the mic as close as possible to the bird. This can be do=
ne either by leaving the recorder and mic near to source and coming back la=
ter and picking it up (obviously risky in certain situations) or using a lo=
ng lead between recorder and mic and monitoring live. If either of these op=
tions doesn't suit you, then the other much more expensive option is to get=
 a parabolic set-up. This gives natural amplification and much more directi=
onality.=0D
Cheers=0D
Max