Re: Recording otters help !!!

Subject: Re: Recording otters help !!!
From: "John Crockett" naturalcontemplative
Date: Thu Jul 3, 2014 8:37 am ((PDT))
For only a little more than the DR-40 you could get a Sony PCM-M10. You'll
need an XLR-to-1/8"stereo adapter cable because the M10 does not have XLR
inputs, but it works fine. Battery life is phenomenal. If you need XLR
inputs, the Tascam DR-100 MkII has them, and has much quieter preamps than
the DR-40 that will work well with the ME66.

I use the ME66 with an Olympus LS-11 (no longer in production but the LS-5
is very similar if you can get that one where you are).

There is no question that a good blimp provides better wind protection
than the foam/fur combination, so I think it depends on the needs of the
recording situation and the end use of the recordings. The main drawback
of a blimp, in my situation, is that it is bulky and cumbersome, so I
don't tend to grab it. The wind muff stays on the microphone all the time,
so I just grab it and go. I'd rather get a little bit of wind interference
(not nearly enough to clip the signal) than get no recording at all
because the gear was too cumbersome.

So much depends on who you are, what your recording and financial
situation is and what your end result needs to be. I operate with a very
limited budget and have had to make do with what is affordable, not always
able to get the best, most things bought used on eBay. I get good results
that work for my purposes (wildlife recordings that are used in public
programs played over a PA system). I also record to document changes in
the soundscape over time, and for the personal enjoyment of listening out
of season. I often record from within a kayak, and need a setup that is
light and operable with one hand so the other hand can grab the paddle.

For me, the foam/fur was a first and necessary step - and useable 90% of
the time. I can't imagine not having the foam/fur and having to use a
blimp all the time (some kind of wind protection is absolutely essential).
The blimp was a later addition to cover the other 10% (and especially for
use with the Rode NT4 stereo microphone, because it is very sensitive to
wind and there were no good options in the foam/fur department at that
time. Windcutter now makes a fur muff for the NT4 that closes with a cinch
cord around the barrel of the microphone and it works pretty well in most
situations, although the blimp is still needed at times. I have no
connection at all to Windcutter, but I did recommend the design change
that led to their improved fur cover for the NT4).

John

> Thanks !!!
> i was looking for somenone that have used only the foam/fur combination
> with out the blimp, with any trouble!!! In the other hand, for the
> recorder... do you know any other alternative for it ??? (not too
> expensive) i was thinking in the tascam dr40 because its not expensive,
> long batteries and is similar to the zoom h4n

John Crockett

Let us live in harmony with Earth
And all creatures,
That our lives may be a blessing.