Re: Cheap electret microphones for environmental noise measurements

Subject: Re: Cheap electret microphones for environmental noise measurements
From: env.noise
Date: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:29 am ((PDT))
I will use IP66 plastic (ABS) enclosures, so the antenna can (and will) sta=
y inside the box without problems. Some motes will be solar+battery powered=
, while others will be connected to an AC power source.=0D
=0D
The only connectors I will mount on the box are for power (solar/mains) and=
 microphone. And I'm not completely sure about the last one. I'm considerin=
g locating the microphone also inside the enclosure (with the required open=
ings). Maybe it will not work because it can cause all kind of directivity =
problems, resonances, etc. But it's something I want to try before complete=
ly discarding. If this approach doesn't work, I'll make sure to try your su=
ggestion.=0D
=0D
The connectors I'm planning to use are the HR30 Series from Hirose. They ar=
e rated IP67 and are a lot smaller and cheaper than MIL connectors. I have =
used them in the past for a pluviometer, and they completely met my expecta=
tions.=0D
=0D
The microphone power consumption isn't a problem. The problem comes from th=
e microcontroller and the radio interface. As the microcontroller must be c=
ontinuously acquiring samples and computing some algorithms, it will drain =
more power than the microphone.