FYI: some recent tech that might be useful in the field

Subject: FYI: some recent tech that might be useful in the field
From: "Bernie Krause" bigchirp1
Date: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:14 am ((PDT))
Sorry, I misspelled anthropophony, again. Corrected in the text, now.

BK

*********************

For the past four weeks, with five more to go, I=92ve been (and will be) le=
cturing across Europe and the UK on the subject of Soundscape Ecology and h=
ave picked up a few pointers, so far, along the way.

First and foremost, the term, anthrophony, that Stuart Gage (Emeritus, Mich=
igan State Univ.) and I first published after our National Park Service stu=
dy program (2001-2) was published, is not correct. We thought that the pref=
ix, anthro, meant human. But, alas, it doesn=92t. The root literally means =
cave, in Greek. And we ain=92t speaking about the sound of caves. The probl=
em was called to my attention by several French colleagues in both Quimper =
and Paris, where I was speaking, that if we wanted to express human sound, =
then the word needs to be anthropophony. The addition of the =93po=94 in th=
e middle, is essential. (Note: the term was correctly translated in the Fre=
nch edition of The Great Animal Orchestra).

Second, a new piece of gear was called to my attention that some may have a=
lready checked out. But for those who haven=92t, give the new RME: Babyface=
 a shot:

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_babyface.php

Bernie Krause

On Jun 26, 2014, at 10:05 AM, Eric Benjamin  [naturerecord=
ists] <> wrote:

> You may want to ask this question in the Yahoo micbuilders group.  But me=
anwhile I have a couple of comments and questions.

> The question is: How many microphone/transmitter systems do you need to m=
ake?  and how much are you prepared to pay for them?

> About 35 years ago I fabricated some microphones in support of a friend's=
 field research in the Amazon jungle.  For that I sealed the front of the m=
icrophone with 1/10 mil polycarbonate film, and the back of the microphone =
with electronic type silicone rubber.  I wouldn't say that those capsules w=
ere waterproof, but they did survive six months in the jungle.  If I had to=
 do it today, I'd check out the waterproof capsules made by Knowles; their =
WP series:
> http://www.knowles.com/eng/Products/Microphones/Waterproof/WP-series
>
> Those capsules are typically guaranteed down to an immersion depth of 3 m=
eters.  These capsules are typically in the range of $25 at Digikey and els=
ewhere.

ts]" <> wrote:

> I'm a Ph.D. student and I need to make some long term environmental noise=
 measurements. I need to deploy a noise measurement network using small nod=
es equipped with a microphone and a radio interface (for transmiting measur=
ements).

> I don't need very accurate results, but as I will have to deploy a lot of=
 measurement nodes, I need each of them to be very cheap. Electret micropho=
nes such as Panasonic WM-61 are enough for my purposes. My only concern wit=
h them is that as I need to do measurements for a year or more, I need the =
microphones to last as much as possible.

> Does anybody know (and if backed with data, better) if these microphones =
can last when placed outdoors without breaking or suffering severe sensitiv=
ity/frequency response deviations? How can I properly (and cheaply) protect=
 them? I can correct measurements with temperature data, and maybe also wit=
h humidity. Any other advices are welcome!

> Please avoid expensive commercial solutions (such as Class1/Class2 outdoo=
r microphones).

> Thanks,
>
> John
>
> PS: This topic is not 100% related to this group, as it deals with enviro=
nmental noise, and not with nature sounds, but I think people in this group=
 has for sure the experience and knowledge necessary to solve my problem, a=
nd the community might be interested in how to record sounds for long term =
with cheap microphones.

> Sorry if I bother someone.

Wild Sanctuary
POB 536