Re: Good mics, medium mics, the best mics - what's the difference on

Subject: Re: Good mics, medium mics, the best mics - what's the difference on
From: madl74
Date: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:37 am ((PDT))
> As time progresses though, and you jump over that 500 hurdle, you will re=
alise that the difference in price (luckily) brings a noticeable difference=
 to your ears as well. For me personally, it was hearing the world through =
a Neumann for the first time, and then recently through a Sanken. I don=EF=
=BF=BDt know how to describe it other than that it recalibrates your ears. =
A good microphone will do that, regardless of the cost.

Peter,

A reason I would suggest for this is that mic specs are only a guide to onl=
some of the mic characteristics. A spec is essentially part of the sales
system and it only gives a partial account of quality.

Characteristics not covered in mic specs include colouration, pulse
response, enharmonic distortion and off-axis responses. It is difficult to=

quote these in figures in a reliable and consistent way, but out ears detec=
them.

Colouration, for instance, does not feature on frequency responses. It is
standard practice to smooth the frequency response, and a common way to do=

this is to use a warble tone to measure a response curve.

Hopefully what you get by adding a zero to the cost is a cleaner sound, but=

there are no standards for this, only comparisons with trained ears, and yo=
can't sell that.

David Brinicombe