Re: Ls5 and external phantom power

Subject: Re: Ls5 and external phantom power
From: "John Crockett" naturalcontemplative
Date: Fri Jun 6, 2014 8:32 am ((PDT))
Hi Philipp,

I use a very similar setup to what you are suggesting. I have an Olympus
LS-11, a pair of AT3032 microphones in a sass-like boundary array and I
power the mikes with an ART Phantom II Pro dual channel phantom power
supply (US $70).

One of the things I like about the ART power supply is its flexible
powering options. It can run off of an internal 9 volt battery, or for
longer run times it can be externally powered by anything from 7 volts to
12 volts AC or DC. I use 8 AA NiMh batteries for about 10 volts and hours
and hours of operation.

The main limitation of the ART that I have found is that mine does not
supply a full 48 volts. More like 42 or 43 volts. The AT3032s don't seem
to mind, but my Rode NT4 does not work with it at all.

In my case it did not seem to make sense to invest the money in a more
expensive and reliable phantom power supply because I already had this one
for live performance. I decided to save the money and put it toward a
better recorder or preamp (sound devices). Still saving those pennies.
Meanwhile the ART is working well enough for me.

John

> Hello from germany!
> I am owner of an Olympus ls-5 and I would like to built up a nice rig
> for stereo recordings without buying a new recorder. My budget is
> somewhat limited and I would rather like to pay for good mics. That's
> why I thought about this:
> -Olympus ls-10 +core sound 2phant portable phantom power unit +2
> audiotechnica at4022 mics in a modified sass configuration.
> Does anyone of you passionate recordists on this planet use such a setup
> or something similar? I would like to know if this could work. Is there
> anything special about this construction I should consider very well?
> And, if there are remarkable disadvantages: Do you have any other good
> suggestions for possible quality rigs involving the ls-5?
> best regards
> Philipp Schr=F6ter

> sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause.
>
> Yahoo Groups Links

John Crockett

Let us live in harmony with Earth
And all creatures,