Re: Recording huge seawaves

Subject: Re: Recording huge seawaves
From: madl74
Date: Sun May 4, 2014 4:57 pm ((PDT))
> What does sealing them in rubber like that do to the frequency response? I
> assume you used condoms because the thin rubber minimises the affect it has?

Peter,

It modifies the response of course but I'm going back some years when
portable hydrophones were not available. The response underwater was less
modified if you had a soft puffgag under the condom.

In my email, I recommended waterproofing in a thicker type poly bag again
with resilient padding as they whole kit has to be waterproof. The bass will
most likely be strangled, but with a bit of EQ the noise should be
impressive if and only if the mic can get close. That's the secret with
water. I would sacrifice hi-fi to immediacy - and partly because very few
people ever hear the real thing up close. :-)

The stereo thing would be interesting to try, but it would take a lot of wet
experimenting to work out how to do an immersible, portable, small and
affordable/disposable rig. Easier to fiddle it into stereo afterwards.

BTW I once tried to record the Blue Nile Falls and it sounded rubbish
because you can't get close - just pink noise.

David Brinicombe