Recording huge seawaves

Subject: Recording huge seawaves
From: lamacchiacosta
Date: Sun May 4, 2014 12:21 pm ((PDT))
Hello,

I've been given the challenge to record huge seawaves later on this year in one
of the surfers paradises in Portugal.
My experience to capture good sounding waves is that I have to be there with
them in the water otherwise they will sound pretty much like white noise.
Consequently in the past I blown up few recorders and microphones and I had to
accept that is part of the process.
Now the challenge is, apart from trying not to blow up more equipment, that I
don have to die, so the option to be in the water won't be considered.

I'm thinking few solutions at the moment and the more realistic one (to
experiment) is that I will buy a couple of parabolic dishes to help me to get
there and maybe a couple of hydrophones or a couple of contact mics or a couple
of geophones to get the very energetic low end.

I would like to know if anyone out there already managed to record them and
could give me any suggestions and links to listen to the results.
Also I never used geophones yet and I would like to know if there is a good
affordable model  to consider out there.

Many thanks.

Emanuele