Re: Rode NT1A modification

Subject: Re: Rode NT1A modification
From: grickerd
Date: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:40 am ((PST))
Re: modifying an omni EM172 omnidirectional capsule for cardioid pattern...
In my limited reading, my impression is that could be a little tricky.

I also note that on the Primo website they list a unidirectional capsule with
identical dimensions and electrical characteristics as the EM172.  It has
perforations visible in the rear PCB plate.... the EM182.

However the EM182 has a much poorer frequency response curve, and is an
electrical 3-wire hookup more like the EM173.  Data sheets here:
http://www.primomic.com/ http://www.primomic.com/

I wonder if there is a lot more to creating a true cardioid mic pattern than
perforating the rear of the capsule, such as rear porting on the microphone
body, acoustic damping on the capsule mount, &c.

I agree it's a fascinating subject.

Glen Rickerd
Electrical engineering background, nature recording wanna-be