Need help completing my rig for nature and field recording

Subject: Need help completing my rig for nature and field recording
From: "Jason Wolford" =
.com
Date: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:30 pm ((PST))

Hi all, my first post here. I've found great info here in the past, but cou=
ld use some specific advice right about now.

I need some help completing my field kit.
I do sound effects mainly, and enjoy capturing nice nature recordings. It w=
ould be nice to do some acoustic instrument recording, but field and nature=
 recording are the higher priority.

I want a good utility kit. I am mainly interested in doing field and nature=
 recording. Be it ambience, waves, animals, wind or weird rusty farm machin=
ery or possibly fireworks or firearms. I'd also like to create my own impul=
se responses, and have heard omnis are best suited for that.

I am happy with my MKH 418S and am not looking to replace it right now. Wha=
t I'd like is a good stereo pair to run on the Aerco Stereo Pre on channels=
 3/4 of the Sound Devices 744. Something that will be a good stereo represe=
ntation of the environment. I'd love something with extended frequency resp=
onse.

If money were no object I'd buy a pair of MKH 8020s or DPA 4006s tonight, a=
nd call it good. However I'd like to keep this under $1500.

I'd appreciate if some of you field recording vets would audit my field kit=
, check out what I am considering, and make recommendations.
It's all laid out below. Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Current inventory:
-Sound Devices 744T
-Sennheiser 418S MS Shotgun
-Rode Blimp
-Sennheiser MKH 40
-Aerco Stereo Pre (For channels 3-4 of the 744)
-Various light use studio stands for holding the blimp
-Sound Devices 702 (For sale!)

What I am looking for:
-Good pair of Omni mics or maybe another cardioid
-Modular windshield or a few specific windshields to accommodate either MKH=
 30/40 combo or  pairs of matched omnis or cardiods
-Boom pole or Tripod (do I need both?)
-Power for the Aerco Preamp (Currently runs on 3 x 9v)

What I am considering:
-2nd MKH 40 (path of least resistance for quality stereo)
-Less expensive Omnis like the Line Audios, Octavias or similar
-Going all in and getting a pair of 8020s (will break the bank, but will al=
so make me happy)
-MKH 30 to run with the MKH 40 (Not sure how I'd decode second MS setup in =
the field, only first 2 channesl on the 744 do MS)
-I am not sure what to do for the tripod/boom pole or power for the Aerco