Re: Mosquitoes in Florida in April

Subject: Re: Mosquitoes in Florida in April
From: "Gregory O'Drobinak" gmo_dunes=
2
Date: Sun Feb 9, 2014 7:23 pm ((PST))

OK.=C2=A0

There's been a lot of discussion on the topic of mozzy repellent.

What really works is dependent on conditions, your own scent (yah, your phe=
romones) and the blood lust of the mozzies.

I do believe that chemicals such as DEET are very bad for humans as well as=
 gear.
So if you need a repellent, try this: =C2=A0http://www.cutterinsectrepellen=
ts.com/products-and-solutions/oil-of-lemon-eucalyptus/lemon-eucalyptus.aspx
The Cutter repellent has been field tested in high mozzie areas of the UP i=
n the summer during a MIdwest Nature Recordists campout and was found to be=
 quite effective.

BUt before you do, most importantly follow Scott's advice, below:
        * Cover your whole body with some fabric os screen! You can withstand a
fa=
irly long period of time in an infestation by doing this.
        * Wear heavy jeans and a white cotton shirt. The shirt should fit
loosely =
over your body.
        * Pull your socks over the bottom of your jeans so that ticks & mozzies
ca=
n't get inside.
        * Wear a wide-brimmed hat (the brim needs to go 360 degrees around your
he=
ad like an old-style pith helmet)
        * Pull a black or charcoal colored no-see-ums head net over your hat
and t=
uck it inside your shirt. Don't buy green colored netting, it's difficult t=
o see through it.
        * Get some thin, conformal work gloves (cut-proof industrial gloves are
go=
od) and wear them. Button your shirt cuffs tightly over the gloves, or vise=
-versa.
        * Spray the Cutter over your shirt (and jeans & socks & hat if things
are =
really bad).
Now you can work and get some recording done!
The Avon stuff gets mixed reviews, so i wouldn't rely on it.

Best,
Greg O.