Re: Mosquitoes in Florida in April

Subject: Re: Mosquitoes in Florida in April
From: "Scott Hughes" shooze53
Date: Sun Feb 9, 2014 4:17 pm ((PST))
Hello Friends,
I work in the field gathering GPS data, images, and audio for field biologi=
sts - plant and animal studies.  We are in areas that are heavily infested =
with mosquitos in Southern Ontario, Canada.  I tend to wear light cotton lo=
ng sleeve shirts ant pants, and spray the clothing with OFF or similar DEET=
-based repellants.  I don't use it on my face or hands for a few reasons - =
plastic camera body, GPS handheld, etc=85  DEET eats plastic (that should t=
ell you something about why we shouldn't apply directly to skin).  We use a=
 citrus or similar oil on exposed skin, the Avon stuff works a bit, if you =
apply often, but not my choice.  Or, if really bad insects in marshy or dam=
p areas, head netting. It can be very uncomfortable in the heat of summer, =
but worth the effort.  We also tuck our pants in our socks and spray with D=
EET or dust with sulphur powder for chiggers or similar.

Hope this helps.

Scott in Canada South

On 2014-02-09, at 5:51 PM, Volker Widmann <> wrote:

> Thanks Klas and Eric!
>
> I have used DEET repellents in the past and would like to avoid them in t=
he future. They definitely are aggressive towards plastic and your skin.
> Repellents containing IR3535 like Avon SSS Bug Guard plus seem to be as e=
ffective according to some reviews.

> I have used Picaridin successfully in the Swedish Taiga. It also worked i=
n Florida in December (with only few mosquitoes).
> PMD worked well in Germany. Neither of the two was problematic with plast=
ic.

> So I will give the Avon stuff a try along with the others.
> And I will use a mosquito net for my rig if it gets too bad.
> As beautiful as a mosquito concert might be, I would rather have warblers=
 and ibis or anhingas...

> Cheers
>
> Volker
>

> Am 09.02.2014 17:09, schrieb Klas Strandberg:
>>
>> Right! Some sprays are nasty to some plastic materials! For example, som=
e of them that were available in Europe 10 years ago, made the Telinga dish=
 milky.

>> Klas.
>>
>> At 23:36 2014-02-08, you wrote:
>>

>>> Volker, you might find this an interesting thread.
>>> Avon's Skin So Soft was very popular with the pulpwood cutters in Nova =
Scotia when I lived there about 15 years ago. (Mosquitoes and brutal Black =
flies).
>>> http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g499445-i9177-k4281755-Avon_Skin_so=
_soft_as_bug_spray-Akumal_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

>>> I have no idea whether this stuff (or the vapors) might be nasty to mic=
 diaphragms. It can't do them any good and all of these preparations seem t=
o migrate over everything in my experience. Eric's idea may well be the bes=
t!

>>> On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 3:23 PM, Eric Fassbender <=
 > wrote:
>>

>> Volker, if you want to avoid the mozzies in your recordings and on your =
skin, I have recently started to use a travel mosquito net draped over a po=
cket umbrella. Works like a dream and against flies too :)