Re: Mosquitoes in Florida in April

Subject: Re: Mosquitoes in Florida in April
From: "John"
Date: Fri Feb 7, 2014 1:19 pm ((PST))
Volker

April is normally a high  mosquito month but much depends on the amount of rain
that has fallen and when it has fallen. High rain amounts = high mosquito
population.

Also, temperature, time-of-day, wind conditions and site location (upland,
wetland etc.) can make a big difference.

Mosquito recordings can be interesting in establishing varying environmental
conditions, variations as to time of day etc.

Aside- although there are multiple species of mosquitoes down here, there are
only about 12 species that relish humans and only the girls bite.

Some folks believe that if you eat meat or bananas before going out, more of
the critters will love you.

I found that the crushed leaves of a local plant (Wedelia?) when rubbed on your
clothing or skin does seem to be somewhat effective as a repellent. (The
critters may buzz you but they usually won't land and bite.)
If you put in on your skin, check a small area to be certain that you do not
get a reaction

Best advice: be prepared, have fun.

John