Re: Visitor's Center Soundscape Project

Subject: Re: Visitor's Center Soundscape Project
From: "Gianni Pavan" gpavan1960
Date: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:18 pm ((PST))
Dear Fred,
         we did similar projects and also produced booklets with a CD to be
distributed/sold to visitors. If the booklet/CD production is too demanding
or not desired or too expensive, then a collection of good recordings, with
possibly a mix of individual species' songs (e.g. taken with a parabola or
a directional mic) and soundscapes (taken with omnidirectional or
moderately directional microphones arranged to get a good stereo image)
could be easily arranged at low cost. Once you have the recordings made in
the surroundings, a little bit of editing could be necessary, then the
collection of files could be easily played back with a very low cost pc
(even a tablet) and a pair of speakers. With simple scripts you could
arrange different series of files to be played sequentially, or randomly,
or according user input on a touchscreen. In such a case a cheap tablet
could be used to get commands and play the files. An option to be
considered is to arrange a simple powerpoint presentation with photographs
of the species and of the habitats.... presentations can be arranged as
"auto run" or for individual vision with buttons to choose the species or
the habitats.... maybe with some spectrograms to show the structure of the
songs.... then you could also think at a web page to allow more people
enjoy the beauties of the place.

you can see some samples of our experiences here :

http://www-3.unipv.it/cibra/res_soundscapes_uk.html

http://www-3.unipv.it/cibra/valsolda/Valsolda_percorsi.html (I'm sorry this
is in Italian. It illustrate a trail in a nature reserve and shows where
sounds of different species (tracce sonore) can be listened... a panel with
an MP3 player at the beginning of the trail allows visitors to listen to
individual species and learn the typical song features...

Gianni

--
Centro Interdisciplinare di Bioacustica e Ricerche Ambientali
Universit=E0 degli Studi di Pavia

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: