Re: Experiences recording with a Zoom H4N & Senn ME66/67 in the bush

Subject: Re: Experiences recording with a Zoom H4N & Senn ME66/67 in the bush
From: madl74
Date: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:00 am ((PST))
> I had to push up the gain to 80-90% to get a good enough signal and then have
> to boost it more in post. With the PMD660 I would set the gain from 4.5-6. As
> I aim to get good mono recordings of my target species it was very
> disappointing.

Andy,

It s a good idea to record low with digital if you don't have control of the
incoming sound level. We don't have the worry of overcoming tape hiss
nowadays but the memory lingers on. The real problem is monitoring with
headphones and if the monitor level is low, the answer is to use higher
output phones and/or noise excluding types.

Boosting the level on replay is not usually a problem. The crucial test is
if you can hear mic or input noise in a very quiet spot, or with a pile of
bedclothes over the mic. You normally have a leeway of 20dB or more before
you hear digital noise.

> The record buttons needs you to press it twice other wise it stays on pause
> record. This is crazy when you need to quickly get that bird call and
> subconsciously you hit the REC button only to look down and see it still
> flashing away on pause record.

I've got pre-record on my toy Tascam but I wish it was longer than 1 second.
I would like an affordable recorder with 10 secs or more.

> This maybe an obvious question. I would like to ask the group how you do
> recording while on the move in the bush with not tripod etc.

A tripod is for singers and instrumentalists. You need to be able to aim the
mic and keep it out of the mud, but why on a tripod? I always try it on the
ground where it often sounds better anyway.

> Are the protabrace style shoulder bags used to hold the recorder so a hand is
> free for control the levels and the other holding the mic?

Hand holding is often necessary especially when following moving sources,
but the downside is handling and personal noise like breathing which you
sometimes don't hear till playback. As above, stop worrying about level and
shoot low. I've only been caught out by thunder when the peaks triggered the
limiter producing nasty holes after the booms. If you want the "overload
sound" of thunder, do it in post.

David Brinicombe