Re: some questions about equipments.

Subject: Re: some questions about equipments.
From: lecarmo
Date: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:02 pm ((PDT))
David,=0D
 =0D
 Thanks for the response.=0D
=0D
 My apologies to return so late on this subject, but things were completely=
 out of order here.=0D
 =0D
=0D
 I believe that I've been thinking "into the box" of the Dolby LtRt rules f=
or so long (although the Dolby's analogue system still saves the show when =
Dolby 5.1 "goes sour") that I've got kind of short sighted by the phase-coh=
erent/non-coherent "small world" of channel assignment allowed by the Dolby=
 LtRt encoding system.=0D
 =0D
=0D
 I referred again to the Shoeps' MS array page and found out they propose t=
he use of the front cardioid mic as the center channel and the figure-eight=
s as the sides, using the three channels to produce what used to be done by=
 matrixing to a "true" stereo mixdown. It won't work on LtRt but it should =
sound very nice in any system that interprets whatever sound as "discrete".=
=0D
 =0D
=0D
 Just wondering how Juan Pablo could produce a double MS using just one omn=
i as the mid for both ends.=0D
 =0D
=0D
 Luis=0D
 =0D
=0D
---In  <> =
wrote:=0D
=0D
 > I would add that a double MS will give you 4 discrete channels, which is=
 a great surround sound experience, but it lacks the center=0D
 > channel of a 5.1 system. =0D
 > =0D
 > A double MS array is an agile "point and shoot" type of gear, which is v=
ery handy for documentaries, and if you have a narrator or whatever spoken =
material covering the center channel, no one will really notice its absence=
. But if one has the time for setting up a bulkier gear and are in the fiel=
d to record just the sound I would go for a 5 channel setup.=0D
 =0D
 Luis, =0D
 =0D
 I haven't used a Schoeps myself but a former colleague of mine is now a =
=0D
 Schoeps dealer and hires them out. The double M/S is useful for orchestra =
=0D
 recording as a space and ambience mic and its great advantage is that you =
=0D
 can adjust its lobes remotely by matrixing. =0D
 =0D
 It is essentially a indoor mic and generally not suitable for outdoor work=
. =0D
 As far as I understand it, you can derive a front mid channel with a =0D
 hypercardioid pattern, and independently matrix four surround sound channe=
ls =0D
 producing a 5.0 setup. All a 5.1 adds is s derived mono LF channel. =0D
 =0D
 The disadvantage of a double M/S is its wide lobe angles and thus less =0D
 ambience reduction in uncontrolled situations, for instance with noise fro=
m =0D
 top and bottom directions. I note also the references to needing a sound =
=0D
 engineer in the PDF I posted. Where it wins out is in controlled studios o=
r =0D
 concert halls where it gives you effectively several directional mics all =
at =0D
 one three dimensional point source and you can vary these remotely. =0D
 =0D
 David Brinicombe=0D
=0D

<*> Your email settings: