Re: Digest Number 5947

Subject: Re: Digest Number 5947
From: "Grant Smith" baraitsersmith
Date: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:17 am ((PDT))
Thanks, Nick and all

We are looking for a cost effective preamp for Raspberry Pi based audio str=
eamers.

We'd like to be able to use something like the Primo EM173 you point to. Th=
e Pi needs a preamp and usb audio-in, ideally with PIP to the microphones.=

If anybody knows of a solution we could buy or make or get made, that would=
 be great.

Thanks
Grant

On 29 Oct 2013, at 08:34,  wrote:

> E-Mail group of individuals interested i Group
> 6 New MessagesDigest #5947
> 1aRe: 3.5mm recording input crackle by nick_felmicamps
> 1bRe: 3.5mm recording input crackle by madl74
> 1cRe: 3.5mm recording input crackle by "Klas Strandberg" klasstrandberg
> 1dRe: 3.5mm recording input crackle by "Peter Shute" pshute2
> 2aME66/K6 for sale by "Emanuele" lamacchiacosta
> 3aRe: some questions about equipments. by lecarmo
>
> Messages
> 1aRe: 3.5mm recording input crackle
> Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:03 am (PDT) . Posted by:nick_felmicampsThank you all f=
or your kind words about our FEL preamps and cables. As mentioned the 3.5 S=
J preamp does not pass PIP on to the microphone, there just isn't enough cu=
rrent available after powering the amp.

> The cables Vicki mentions have moulded right angle 3.5 mm plugs, gold pla=
ted (for better or worse!), the cable is thin and light weight, yet fully s=
creened so ideal for small recorders.

> http://www.micbooster.com/products/felconnectorsand.html
>
> Peter, our postage charge is only 1.50 GBP so it should not increase the =
cost of an order too much, though it will take a week or more to reach you.=

> Nick Roast. FEL Communications Ltd. UK
>

> ---In  <> wrote:
>
> Peter,
>
> I have sourced plugs from various places but don't recall where
> exactly. I know I bought some right angled gold-plated plugs ready-
> wired, with bare wires at one end, from FEL in UK, and these have
> proved very useful.
>
> Vicki
>

> On 28/10/2013, at 10:32 AM, Peter Shute wrote:
>
> > Do you know anywhere to buy that connector locally, Vicki? The
> > postage from the UK doubles tha price.
> >
> > I only use this particular recorder with PIP mics, so no chance
> > it's an incompatibility problem.
> >
> > I assume what was meant by "unsuitable for field work" was that
> > there's a more suitable solution, but it's not in my price bracket.
> >
> > Peter Shute

oups.com
> >>  m("yahoo","naturerecordists");=">=
groups.com] On Behalf Of vickipowys
> >> Sent: Monday, 28 October 2013 8:45 AM
> >> To:  =
ps.com
> [...]

> Since I started running plug in power a few years ago, I never have
> problems with mini-jacks, unless worn out gold plated contacts on head ph=
ones.

> The by far most common problem in my workshop are cables which have
> broke where the XLR housing ends.
>
> Long ago, buying gears with XLR's meant buying quality. Vice versa,
> stuff with mini jacks were made for the poor ones and bad.
> That is not the case anymore. Mini jack gears might be really good
> and XLR stuff might be bad.
> Today there is no reason to feel "amateurish&quot; because you use mini-j=
acks.

> I have two Zoom H4n and the XLR inputs are broken on both of them.
> (3,5 mm works)
>
> There are small closed bags that you can buy anywhere to clean your
> eye glasses. They work fine to clean connectors too.
>
> Klas.
>
> At 22:44 2013-10-28, you wrote:
> > > I assume what was meant by "unsuitable for field work" was that
> > there's a more suitable solution, but it's not in my price bracket.
> >
> >Peter,
> >
> >What I meant was to take the home environment into the field and keep th=
> >3.5's clean and dry and with no movement.
> >
> >As for crackle, the major source is with PIP. With low mic level audio,
> >slight misconnections only vary the level very briefly, but with 2V or s=
o of
> >DC PIP added, the slightest increase in contact resistance in a plug is
> >applied to over 0dB in DC volts, in a mic circuit handling under -60dB. =
With
> >3.5mm jacks and sockets, only a tiny area of each connection makes conta=
ct,
> >so any movement is likely to cause trouble.
> >
> >I can remember when XLR plugs were coming into use instead of plugs twic=
> >their diameter used by STC, Coles, etc. XLR's were designed by Cannon to=
 be
> >reliable and robust. This new range of "X" plugs incorporated a locking
> >mechanism (the "L") and resilient rubber mounting of the female sockets =
(the
> >"R"). Instead of jack plugs with a single point of contact, the plugs me=
et
> >in more than one area, usually using two sprung strips. Subsequently,
> >Neutrix (pronounced "noytricks&quot;) mounted both halves rigidly and ma=
de the
> >connectors resilient, and we have the present day XLR series.
> >
> >David Brinicombe

> Telinga Microphones, Botarbo,
> S-748 96 Tobo, Sweden.
> Phone & fax int + 295 310 01
> email:
> website: www.telinga.com
> Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (19)=
 . Top ^
> 1dRe: 3.5mm recording input crackle
> Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:09 pm (PDT) . Posted by:"Peter Shute" pshute2That's go=
od to hear, although I note you say "partly disagree". I assume if I'd been=
 more careful about dropping the lead on the ground, and cleaned the tip oc=
casionally then I wouldn't have had any trouble.

> I also probably would have fixed the problem sooner if I carried headphon=
es to at least check the signal before leaving the equipment. At least I ha=
ve one good channel from the two recordings that were affected.

> Good idea about the cleaners, I've put it on the weekly shopping list.
>
> Peter Shute
>
> ________________________________
 On Behalf Of Klas Strandberg
> [...]
> Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:55 am (PDT) . Posted by:"Emanuele" lamacchiacostaHello=
,

> by mistake I bought a used Sennheiser K6/ME66 but I really don't need it=

> and is sitting on the shelf.
> If anyone is interested I give it away at the same price I bought it:
> =A3210 plus delivery.
> The microphone is in London, UK.
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Emanuele
>
> Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (7) =
. Top ^
> 3aRe: some questions about equipments.
> Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:02 pm (PDT) . Posted by:lecarmoDavid,
>

> Thanks for the response.
>

> My apologies to return so late on this subject, but things were completel=
y out of order here.

> I believe that I've been thinking "into the box" of the Dolby LtRt rules =
for so long (although the Dolby's analogue system still saves the show when=
 Dolby 5.1 "goes sour") that I've got kind of short sighted by the phase-co=
herent/non-coherent "small world" of channel assignment allowed by the Dolb=
y LtRt encoding system.

> I referred again to the Shoeps' MS array page and found out they propose =
the use of the front cardioid mic as the center channel and the figure-eigh=
ts as the sides, using the three channels to produce what used to be done b=
y matrixing to a "true" stereo mixdown. It won't work on LtRt but it should=
 sound very nice in any system that interprets whatever sound as "discrete"=
;.

> Just wondering how Juan Pablo could produce a double MS using just one om=
ni as the mid for both ends.

> Luis
>

> ---In  <=
> wrote:
>
> > I would add that a double MS will give you 4 discrete channels, which i=
s a great surround sound experience, but it lacks the center
> > channel of a 5.1 system.
> >
> > A double MS array is an agile "point and shoot" type of gear, which is =
very handy for documentaries, and if you have a narrator or whatever spoken=
 material covering the center channel, no one will really notice its absenc=
e. But if one has the time for setting up a bulkier gear and are in the fie=
ld to record just the sound I would go for a 5 channel setup.