3.5mm recording input crackle

Subject: 3.5mm recording input crackle
From: "Peter Shute" pshute2
Date: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:18 pm ((PDT))
My M10 recently suddenly developed a bad crackle in the left channel (nothi=
ng to do with my recent ME66 problem). It seemed to be ok when I rotated th=
e plug away from particular positions, so I got by like that for a while. T=
oday I cleaned the plug with alcohol, and it seemed a bit better, so I also=
 cleaned the inside of the socket on the recorder with alcohol on a cotton =
bud, and now it's difficult to find a position where it crackles. Hopefully=
 this is a permanent fix.

I assume I must have dropped the plug on the ground, and then transferred s=
ome dirt or moisture to the recorder socket. I guess this is one of the haz=
ards of not using XLR connectors. I'm considering taping a spare socket to =
the cable so I can leave it plugged in and protected until I'm ready to plu=
g it into the recorder. What does everyone else do to avoid this problem, t=
hose of you who use 3.5mm connectors?

Peter Shute