Re: For those interested in noise issues - FYI

Subject: Re: For those interested in noise issues - FYI
From: "Bernie Krause" bigchirp1
Date: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:04 pm ((PDT))
A new book, called "Noise," by David Hendy, a UK media historian from the Univ.
of Sussex, has just been released on HarperCollins in the US (and Profile in
the UK). This beautifully written book is a wonderful, accessible, and
insightful piece covering pretty much all aspects of noise phenomena that exist
in Western culture, in particular, but others, as well. Hendy's BBC Radio
series is also to be broadcast this Fall. I've read it twice, now, and find
more and more relevance to my soundscape work with each read-through.

Check it out.

Bernie

On Oct 19, 2013, at 11:52 AM, <> wrote:

> It is refreshing to have someone write on noise and actually DEFINE what they
> mean by the term... something rarely done in my experience. I have found over
> 20 definitions of noise even in the acoustic domain. R. Murray Shafer's
> formulation relates to the foreshortening of dynamic range, which is distinct
> from noise as rapid change, dromological sound, non-repetitive sound,
> inharmonic sound, excessive volume, sudden impulse, physical disruption,
> psychological trauma, transmission loss, anthrophony, and so on.
>

> -- Robin Parmar, who hates the new Yahoo groups web format
>

> ---In  <> wrote:
>
> To my ears, in general, soundscapes in which individual sounds can be heard
> clearly are more attractive than their opposite. It's what I understand from
> Murray Shafers talk of hi-fi and lo-fi sonic environments. The only
> qualification perhaps is that some natural (however you wish to define that)
> soundscapes could be thought of as lo-fi. A river in spate. Or rain. But
> then, on paying attention, I find beautiful variations within the grain of
> falling rain, its different intensities.

Wild Sanctuary
POB 536
Glen Ellen, CA 95442
707-996-6677