Re: For those interested in noise issues - FYI

Subject: Re: For those interested in noise issues - FYI
From: robin_parmar_sound
Date: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:52 am ((PDT))
It is refreshing to have someone write on noise and actually DEFINE what they
mean by the term... something rarely done in my experience. I have found over
20 definitions of noise even in the acoustic domain. R. Murray Shafer's
formulation relates to the foreshortening of dynamic range, which is distinct
from noise as rapid change, dromological sound, non-repetitive sound,
inharmonic sound, excessive volume, sudden impulse, physical disruption,
psychological trauma, transmission loss, anthrophony, and so on.

 -- Robin Parmar, who hates the new Yahoo groups web format

---In  <> wrote:

 To my ears, in general, soundscapes in which individual sounds can be heard
clearly are more attractive than their opposite. It's what I understand from
Murray Shafers talk of hi-fi and lo-fi sonic environments. The only
qualification perhaps is that some natural (however you wish to define that)
soundscapes could be thought of as lo-fi. A river in spate. Or rain. But then,
on paying attention, I find beautiful variations within the grain of falling
rain, its different intensities.