Re: Coordinates from iPhone

Subject: Re: Coordinates from iPhone
From: "Peter Shute" pshute2
Date: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:53 am ((PDT))
I had a very brief play with using the iPhone to relocate a position this m=
orning, and it was about 20m out, indicating that recording to the nearest =
second wouldn't lose much information. I suspect there would be many cases =
where it would do better than that, but I think until the MotionX authors a=
dd an extra decimal place to the display, I won't trouble myself about it. =
Doesn't seem worth the effort of going with an undesirable format or seekin=
g out a different app in order to record precision that's only there someti=
mes.

I will make a point of recording a waypoint as well to help relocate my gea=
r, so that will use the full available precision anyway.

Changing the subject, interesting that you mention panoramic photography, K=
eith. I've been interested in it for years too, although not to anything li=
ke the extent you seem to have been. I wonder if people who are interested =
in it also tend to be interested in nature recording. They seem to go toget=
her - record the sounds, record the view.

My early attempts at building a rotating film camera were interesting but i=
mpractical, and were abandoned when the stitching of digital photos became =
practical. Now I just use the panorama mode on my iPhone, and I get a reaso=
nable result. I've also tried a free app called Photosynth, which stitches =
in multiple rows of photos to allow greater vertical coverage, although it =
can mess up the stitching if you aren't careful about rotating about the le=
ns nodal point.

Peter Shute