Re: Tascam DR680 + 2 Audio Technica AT4022 Omnidirectional Condenser

Subject: Re: Tascam DR680 + 2 Audio Technica AT4022 Omnidirectional Condenser
From: "Peter Shute" pshute2
Date: Thu Jun 6, 2013 2:54 pm ((PDT))
I've been using a layer of lycra on mine, plus a layer of hessian.

I've pushed a loop of aluminium in between the front of the foam nose and its
aluminium cover. This sticks out the sides about an inch to give more space
between the lycra and the capsules. I found that the tightly stretched lycra
(so if doesn't flap in the wind) was curving in too much. Someone mentioned
that they'd filled the space under their lycra cover with down.

The hessian is stretched over wire frame that took forever to make and looks
lumpy and silly, and doesn't come off easily. I've not convinced that it's made
any difference. I'm thinking of replacing the wire frame with plastic garden
mesh, maybe with another layer of lycra instead of the hessian, which is hard
to work with because it doesn't stretch much. Or maybe try Vicki's mohair
solution directly over the lycra cover.

I have to say that hessian makes the whole thing look very unobtrusive and
difficult to spot when I hide it among the trees for unattended recordings.
I've been on the lookout for brown lycra, but I doubt it'll look as nondescript
as hessian.

I really need to work out a good way of evaluating the effects of these layers,
as I'm not convinced the outer one especially is worth the extra bulk.

Peter Shute